My dad, as part of his recent farmyard clean up, offered some tin roofing he had left over from building his barn years ago. Of course I’ll take it! Free tin roofing. Sweet. We were planning on putting a tin roof on the chicken coop anyway. He even gave us a bunch of tin roof screws (the ones with the rubber washers on them so they’re waterproof). Total cost of roofing the coop: $0.00! Just a little elbow grease.
Just a quick video tour to show the progress on the big bird house.
Well, yesterday was a great day of progress on the chicken coop project. This building looks taller than I thought it would, but I guess that’s probably because it’s built on stilts. Reason for those stilts is to keep the chickens safer from animals that would otherwise dig under the chicken coop. On the bottom of the coop we installed some heavy expanded metal mesh that nothing will be able to chew through. Also, the elevated coop will serve to provide the chickens some shade on those days. There are a lot of other oddities about building a chicken coop as opposed to say, just a regular garden shed. I’ll do a walk around video explaining all the specifics needed for a good chicken coop when I’m done with the build.
In the mean time, I did some footage while building yesterday to show how I built my roof trusses.
Steph has had pretty decent success incubating our little chicken eggs. Eight of the twelve hatched over a week ago and are doing well. Healthy, chirpy and really goofy/clumsy. Little chickens are funny creatures.
From some figures you read online, 50% success rate during incubation is considered to be a good number. By that, Steph is doing really well, especially considering she made the incubator herself.
Here’s a little video of one of them busting out of the shell. This was after they pipe (when they first poke a hole through the shell) and zipper (when they poke a circle around the whole shell for them to push against).