Pretty stoked to reach this milestone over on the YouTube channel. Honestly I’ve been putting most of my social media focus on YouTube (and sadly at the expense of blogging here) but I suppose you can only do so much. I like the video communication, and so far it’s going fairly well.
Way back when I had about 2K subscribers, I announced a contest for a knife giveaway that would happen once I reach 20K subscribers. Well this past weekend we hit 20K and now the GAW is open. Check out the video for all the details.
Well, the boys almost had a qualifying ride on the wild pony races. We are really proud of them and every go round they did, they got better and better and closer and closer to getting a ride in. Certainly made improvements over the weekend. What a blast!
Pretty bummed that we couldn’t watch the running of the bulls this year, even more bummed that they didn’t even do them. I believe this would have been the 13th year for the event. Oh well, at least the boys got to get their wild pony race in. This time, they almost got on! They had a much better run than they did on Friday evening. But, shortly after that, the rain came down and we were once again, making a mad dash for the mini van. Gotta love Alberta weather.
Our favourite weekend of the year is here! So stoked for all the fun and activities and some good ole fashioned visiting with friends and family. We’ll be vlogging the weekend. A highlight for us this year will be the boys trying to get on a pony in the wild pony races. Here’s day one that came with the first attempt to ride. The boys did fairly well for their first attempt and and now they know what to expect, let’s hope night two gets them closer to riding a pony!
The little bottle-feeder cows we picked up a few months ago are really starting to fill out. We have completely weened them from the bottle and have been eating just hay for about a month now. With that being the case, it’s time to get them out to pasture.
A few weeks back our neighbour had rented a post pounder for a long weekend. He had mentioned that he’d only need it for a day at the most and if we wanted to do any fencing, we were welcome to use it as part of the same rental. Sweet! The entire fence on the front of our property was in really rough shape (missing posts, most of wire gone) and we also wanted to get some cross fencing done so we can use our land to feed some of our animals.
So I helped my neighbour with his fence posts and he, along with my father-in-law, helped put in the fence posts for all of the fencing that we had wanted to do. That was a few weeks maybe even a month ago.
Fast forward to last week: time to finish off the fence. Part of the process was simply stringing and stretching the wire and part of it was to install two gates that we were given and were trying to re-use. Gates are expensive and when someone is just throwing them out; it seems a shame to just let them get tossed. I’ve had this sitting our land for about a year, and it’s great to actually have them put to use.
Lately we’ve had a whole lot of rain here (5 inches in just over a week) and that made for some boggy conditions for fencing. With the quad it wasn’t too bad, but with the bobcat, that things was getting stuck like crazy. Especially with the post auger installed. I ended up having to get quite creative with how I installed the first gate. Working alone usually leads to some interesting/hill-billy solutions.
But, after a concentrated effort last week (I was shocked it took the better part of a week) it’s great to have the cows and horses running around and grazing in the newly fenced pasture.
Here’s a little video from our YouTube channel about it. Cheers!
Want a chance to win a handmade bushcraft knife? We have a contest going over on our YouTube channel where you can! Simply subscribe to the channel, live in North America (we wanted to keep shipping options as simple as possible for our first give away) and we’ll make the draw in May 9, 2016. Sweet deal! Check out the video below for the full details.
With our 4 calves now needing to be bottle-fed 4 times a day, it was high time to make a bottle holder. They are getting stronger and much more rambunctious during their feeding times. With all their head-butts and jerks on the nipples, it is getting harder and harder to keep the bottle under control and in hand while they slurp away. So, I decided it was time do a little homestead “automation”. Basically, a wooded frame that I cobbled together that will hold the bottles even when the calves are getting a little excited during their feeding. So far it’s working really well and has made feeding these little calves so much easier. I didn’t use any plans but just kind of slapped it together with material I had lying around. We are still getting in with them when they feed (the trust and reliance that they develop with us when they are young will make them much easier to handle when they out-weigh us by X-number of times) but it’s nice not to have to wrestle a bottle every time they need to eat.
One item on our spring time to do list was check on the health of our bee hive. We had let proper care and concern for it slip away a little bit in the fall (we never took the honey super off, tapped it late) and were a little concerned as to what we might find now that spring is here. To our relief, the bees have done well over the winter in spite of our lack of proper care. A few days ago we headed out and did some required maintenance (clean the dead bees out, scrape out the mites etc…) and also tried to start another hive. We’ll see how that goes, but at least the one we have did well over the winter and the bees seem quite happy and content.